Thursday, October 2, 2008

Creature of Habit....

As usual, I stopped by my coffee joint this morning.

I stood in line, ordered my usual bagel toasted with peanut butter and 99 cent mug refill. I paid my $3.33 bill and then headed to the self serve coffee pots to fill my cup.

I looked at the brew signs as I do every morning. I assessed the various roasts and then decided on the vanilla hazelnut brew....as I do every morning. With one hand I grabbed the honey bottle and the other the creamer carafe and poured both in the bottom of my cup. I then placed my cup under the spout and watched as my cup filled with hot, caramel colored liquid. I gave my cup a swirl, grabbed a wooden stirrer and a few napkins, and off I went.

With cup in hand, I made my way over to the first table to the right of the soda machine, wiped it off, pulled out my chair and sat down. The coffee cup and bagel basket each had their place in front of me. It had be this way to accommodate the book that I was reading this morning.

From the corner of my eye, I saw some of the other regulars. I gave the expected "How ya doin'" wave, and quickly returned to my coffee and book.

Now what is so special about this? Nothing really. It's just that I do this same thing every morning. It has become such a part of my daily routine, that if I don't follow it, my whole day is messed up...we're talking cranky, frustrated in just plain not fun to be around. I am completely dependent upon this morning ritual. I have truly become a creature of habit.

No comments: